Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Truth About Birthdays

Max just had his first American birthday. He thinks it was also his last. It is so interesting to me when I discover things we assume the kids understand. Who would have thought I would need to explain that a person has LOTS of birthdays - one every year, in fact.

Max didn't know that. He was so very excited about his special day - but before the day was even half over he got real sad. I asked him what was wrong and he said "Tomorrow is not my birthday." I said "No sweetheart, but TODAY is your birthday and we still have your party tonight!" Max sadly retorted, "But then no more birthdays."

I explained the way birthdays work. He was quite relieved to know the truth. It also cleared up for him how everyone else got to be so old. We had noticed that he was very confused about that. He would ask different siblings throughout the week..."Jenna, how do you get to be 12?" He is so happy to know that he will get to be 12 one day, too.

We are blessed to be able to make such a fuss on birthdays. In so many other parts of the world they have much bigger things to worry about than remembering the day a child was born.


In honor of our five year old I will attempt to limit myself to five things I love about Max:
1. Max is hilarious. I have no idea how he comes up with his stuff but he keeps us in stitches
here.

2. Max is teachable. He wants to obey and please us - when he needs corrected he gets
quiet, drops his head, sheds a tear or two, nods his head, and obeys.

3. Max has a smile that lights up the room.

4. Max loves books. He memorizes his favorites and recites parts of them throughout the
day.

5. Max is thriving in a family. It is plain to see that he enjoys the benefits of being the
youngest, but he still wants us to "get a baby" from Ethiopia.

Some fun photos of our yummy 5 year old...




1 comment:

Kelly said...

I'll bet next year when we ask him what he wants for his birthday, he'll have a lot more to say than "pizza!" Ha! He's a beautiful, sweet, hilarious child.